This is a urine COTININE test.
Cotinine is one of the substances that is produced by the body when it breaks down nicotine. It is therefore used as a test to find out if someone has been smoking. Cotinine can stay in the blood for up to 2 weeks and in the urine for several weeks more. How long it stays in the body depends on much the person has been smoking, their body size and composition, and if they take medication or have health issues so it is very variable.
You should bring with you a valid photo ID such as a passport or driving license. No copies or mobile images are accepted.
Results take up to 5 working days * and will be emailed to you. They include a doctor's explanation of the results. Please note that we do not give out results by telephone as this information is confidential and there is no way of identifying a caller.
Results can be:
Positive: < 50 ng/ml Cotinine
Equivocal: 50 - 500 ng/ml Cotinine (unable to confirm whether positive or negative. Needs to be repeated at cost to client.)
Negative: > 500 ng/ml Cotinine
* Indicative timings only. Actual result may be earlier or slightly later.
1. Please enter the name(s) and date of birth(s) of the person(s) taking the test at the top of the page. These details are essential to uniquely identify your sample by the laboratory and you will be unable to proceed further without them.
2. Pay online by credit or debit card.
3. Initially, you will receive an automatic reply to confirm that we have received your instructions.
4. Your test request will then be processed between 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Once processed, you will receive a text message and email to confirm that you can now attend Patient Reception to have the test. Please wait for this confirmation before making your way to Patient Reception, otherwise they will be unaware that you will be attending.
5. You can attend Patient Reception at any time during opening hours of 7am-7pm, Monday-Friday, and 7am-1pm on Saturday. It is closed on Sundays and Public Holidays. The only exception is for Chain of Custody tests as these need an appointment.
7. Make sure to bring an original photo ID such as a passport or driving license. A copy or phone image is not acceptable.
8. Results will be sent by email as soon as they are available.
All laboratories need information regarding the client to identify their individual sample.
Tests cannot be done without these details.
The minimum requirement is the full name and date of birth.
All laboratory tests need a photo ID to be shown at Patient Reception at the time of the test.
This is to ensure that it is the client who is taking the test.
Drug and alcohol test results often need to be shown to courts or other agencies and must be valid.
Only a valid passport or driving license is accepted.
Originals must be shown. No copies or images on a phone.