This alcohol profile blood test checks for the following 5 markers:
- Alcohol Level - the amount of alcohol currently in the blood.
- Liver Function Test - checks the effect of alcohol misuse on the liver
- MCV - this level is high in alcohol misuse.
- CDT - checks for alcohol misuse over the past 7-14 days.
- PEth - checks for alcohol misuse over the past 21-28 days.
The alcohol profile blood test tells you if a person has been drinking too much alcohol and if there is any damage to the liver.
You will find that it is less expensive to do these tests together as a profile than to do them separately.
There is no need for an appointment to do the alcohol profile test. After ordering it, you will receive a confirmation message with a map and directions attached. You can then go to Patient Reception at The Doctors Laboratory to give the sample. The laboratory is open 7am – 7pm weekdays and 7am-1pm on Saturdays.
You are required to bring a valid photo ID with you at the of the test such as a passport or driving license.
Results Take: 5 - 7 working days *. They include a doctor's explanation of the meaning of the results.
Results of your alcohol profile will be e-mailed to you.
* Indicative timings only. Actual result may be earlier or slightly later.