The alcohol blood test can detect the presence of alcohol for a number of hours following drinking.
You should bring with you a valid photo ID such as a passport or driving license. No copies or mobile images are accepted.
Results take 1 working day * and will be emailed to you. They include a doctor's explanation of the results. Please note that we do not give out results by telephone as this information is confidential and there is no way of identifying a caller.
* Indicative timings only. Actual result may be earlier or slightly later.
Often combined with a liver function blood test to check for any damage to the liver from excessive alcohol consumption.
On average, it takes about one hour for your body to break down one unit of alcohol. Please note that the length of time alcohol stays in your body depends on a number of factors including:
It can also take longer if your liver isn't working normally.
Read more about drinking and alcohol.
One unit is equivalent to 10ml or 8g of pure alcohol. There are roughly:
If you drink a large (250ml) glass of wine, your body takes about three hours to break down the alcohol.
If you drink one pint of beer, your body takes about two hours to break it down. One pint of strong lager is equivalent to three units, so this will take longer.
However, this time can vary, depending on the factors mentioned above.
If you have a few drinks during a night out, it can take many hours for the alcohol to leave your body. The alcohol could still be in your blood the next day.
If you wish to detect alcohol misuse then you should consider one of the more advanced tests:
1. Please enter the name(s) and date of birth(s) of the person(s) taking the test at the top of the page. These details are essential to uniquely identify your sample by the laboratory and you will be unable to proceed further without them.
2. Pay online by credit or debit card.
3. Initially, you will receive an automatic reply to confirm that we have received your instructions.
4. Your test request will then be processed between 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Once processed, you will receive a text message and email to confirm that you can now attend Patient Reception to have the test. Please wait for this confirmation before making your way to Patient Reception, otherwise they will be unaware that you will be attending.
5. You can attend Patient Reception at any time during opening hours of 7am-7pm, Monday-Friday, and 7am-1pm on Saturday. It is closed on Sundays and Public Holidays. The only exception is for Chain of Custody tests that need an appointment.
7. Make sure to bring an original photo ID such as a passport or driving license. A copy or phone image is not acceptable.
8. Results will be sent by email as soon as they are available.
All laboratories need information regarding the client to identify their individual sample.
Without these details, tests cannot be done.
The minimum requirement is the full name and date of birth.
All laboratory tests need a photo ID to be shown at Patient Reception at the time of the test.
This is to ensure that it is the client who is taking the test.
Drug and alcohol test results often need to be shown to courts or other agencies and must be valid.
Only a valid passport or driving license is accepted.
Originals must be shown. No copies or images on a phone.